English Language China News, Blogs and Podcasts
With many of the world's news sources blocked in China, it can be difficult to know where to turn for decent on-the-ground coverage of the nation we live in. China's state-run media can be good for understanding the government's perspective on the issues of the day, but it is typically not very self-reflective and only provides one side of any argument. Overseas news agencies may be a bit more independent in their reporting, but many have strong biases running in the other direction. While most overseas news is blocked in China, most can be accessed via a VPN service that unblocks the internet in China.
China State Media[edit | edit source]
- [Beijing Review] - An international magazine published by China International Publishing Group to present and explain the views of the Chinese government.
- [Caixin Global] - A financial news service closely associated with the Stock Exchange Executive Council. Note that Caixin takes a more business-focused and less political view of the world and, while still pro-China in its reporting, is well balanced and pragmatic in its focus on real-world events.
- [China Global Television Network (CGTN)] - A platform for China's international media outreach. CGTN comprises English, Spanish, Arabic, French, and Russian news media in written and video formats. The platform includes a variety of live streaming and on demand [documentaries] and [news coverage] of events in China and from around the world.
- [China Daily] - A daily newspaper owned by the Publicity Department of the Communist Party of China
- [China Plus] - A news service operated by China Radio international
- [Global Times] - A newspaper operated by the People's Daily newspaper, focusing on international issues from the Chinese government's perspective
- [People’s Daily Online] - The official newspaper of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China
- [Xinhua.net] - News directly from the official state-run press agency of the People's Republic of China
- [Youth.cn] - A news portal operated by the Committee of the Communist Youth League
China News Sites[edit | edit source]
- [chinaSMACK] - Chinese social media trends translated into English
- [China Economic Review] - An insightful magazine and website that delve deeper into the implications of China's economic life than most. Their daily email news round-up is a great time saver when looking to get up to speed on the latest in China without spending a lot of time.
- [Gavekal Dragonomics] - A paid economics news service focused on China. Gavekal performs their own detailed and relevant research into events and trends in China for those with more than a casual interest in the workings of China's economy.
- [GoChengdoo] - Web portal for Chengdu Expats
- [GoKunming] - Web portal for Kunming Expats that includes local news, event listings, classifieds, and forums.
- [South China Morning Post] - A Hong Kong-based newspaper that covers China in depth
- [Shanghaiist] - Web portal for Shanghai expats, but also publishes a lot of information relevant to expats in any part of the country
- [Shanghai Daily] - A daily newspaper published and distributed around Shanghai
- [SupChina] - An American based China news website that discusses some of China's most controversial issues
- [That's Mag] - A China news portal for expats including local editions in Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Tianjin & Suzhou
- [the Beijinger] - Web portal for Beijing Expats with China news and information about upcoming events around Beijing.
China Blogs[edit | edit source]
- [Lost Laowai] - A collection of articles, blogs, and travel guides about living, working, and studying in China
China Focused Podcasts[edit | edit source]
- [The Caixin Sinica Business Brief] - A weekly roundup of the week's top stories from China
- [ChinaEconTalk] - A discussion of issues affecting the Chinese economy
- [Ta For Ta] - Essentially a podcast discussing the 'He for She' movement as it relates to China
- [Techbuzz China] - A discussion of some of the latest technology moves affecting China
- [Middle Earth] - A podcast discussing China's culture industry
- [NüVoices] - A discussion of women's issues in China with women making changes
- [The Sinica Podcast] - A weekly in-depth discussion of China with a wide range of China experts